How to Submit an Article
The Western Planner (WP) encourages subscribers, readers, and others to submit articles and columns for publication in our bimonthly digital Journal. The WP doesn’t pay for articles. All articles must be submitted to WP Editor Rachel Girt at Rachel@girtcommunications.com. Please follow the article guidelines listed below.
Types of Articles Accepted
Article Submission Guidelines
The guidelines are inclusive rather than exclusive as we encourage planners to assist others by writing about what has been successful for them.
- Email an abstract of the topic to the editor at Rachel@girtcommunications.com. She will review the abstract and contact you about whether to proceed. Successful submissions have a widespread applicability to the West, is interesting, solutions are offered, and that it provides ideas for bringing together planners, the public, elected officials, and the development community.
- Submit your article to the editor at Rachel@girtcommunications.com in a Word document and include photos and graphics as separate attachments (ie not in the Word document). Be sure to include a suggested headline, any citations and a short bio.
- Upon submittal, the editor and the Editorial Board will review the article. Most of the time, the review results in a request to the author for minor changes or possibly some clarification.
- Submission of an article to WP implies that the material has not been published before and that this article has not been simultaneously submitted to any other publication outlet unless previously agreed upon.
- Each article should be accompanied by a list of resources on the topic at hand: relevant books and reports, conferences, and contact people and their phone numbers (if necessary).
- Each submission is encouraged to also submit color photos and graphics. We prefer to receive artwork electronically. All graphics/photos should include credit and caption information.
Copyright Notice for Article Submission
- Unless otherwise noted, the articles cannot be reproduced without permission from The Western Planner and the author. To request permission to republish material, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If The Western Planner and the author approves the reprint, then the articles must include the following tagline: “This article was originally published in The Western Planner. Visit www.westernplanner.org to learn more.”
- The authors give The Western Planner the first right and perpetual subsequent right to publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the work in any medium. In cases where an article is not accepted for publication by the editorial board, the authors can submit the article to any other publication for first publication.
The publisher, editors and authors accept no responsibility for any statement made or opinion expressed by any other person in this work. Consequently, they will not be liable for any loss or damage sustained by any reader as a result of his or her action upon any statement or opinion in this work.