POSITION TITLE: Planner III
STATUS: Regular Full Time
UNION STATUS: 01 APEA
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director Community Planning
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
To implement the Comprehensive Plan by administering the Zoning Code, special studies, and providing information to the general public concerning land use.
1. Review and authorize zoning permits, flood plain permits, and base flood elevations and certificates to determine compliance with the zoning, subdivision, and other ordinances. Advise the public of other applicable laws and regulations; refer to appropriate agency, as needed.
2. Perform field inspections, investigations, and technical review of land use and development requests, conditional uses, zoning variances, rezones, etc.
3. Gather and analyze data, consult the public and other agencies, prepare staff reports, and formulate department recommendations regarding land use and development requests; including oral presentations at Planning Commission, Borough Assembly, and other public meetings.
4. Interpret ordinances; prepare position paper and department recommendations regarding ordinance revisions.
5. Review platting requests for conformance with zoning and flood plain ordinances.
6. Maintain databases on zoning, flood plain permits, etc.
7. Assist with the creation of a permit tracking system for the department.
8. Assemble, interpret, and prepare information regarding special studies and provide input and make recommendations to other agencies performing studies that affect the Borough.
9. Assist other staff with planning projects as needed.
10. Provide the public with technical interpretations of Borough zoning, land use, flood zone, subdivision, and related codes.
11. Manage planning projects or special studies and provide technical direction to staff working on said projects.
1. Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in planning (urban, regional, transportation), engineering, geography or closely related field, and two years of professional experience in land use planning or enforcement. A graduate degree in planning, engineering, geography or closely-related field of study may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
2. Knowledge of land use planning theory, practice, process, ordinances and their applications.
3. Ability to independently administer zoning and subdivision ordinances and prepare recommendations on a variety of situations.
4. Ability to conduct investigative research and deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner under adverse and stressful conditions.
5. Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate and concise reports and to present data in an effective manner, both orally and in writing.
6. Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer for a variety of computer programs (MS Word & Excel required: Database experience and Adobe Illustrator preferred); type at a proficient level. Ability to operate a variety of office machines (copier, scanner, fax, multi-function phone, printers, etc.).
7. Ability to perform analysis and produce project maps using GIS software; ESRI ArcView or Arc GIS preferred.
8. Must be available for after-hours work and meetings, as assigned.
9. Must have and be able to maintain a valid driver’s license. Must meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough's insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of automobile insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUIRED AT TIME OF INTERVIEW)
10. A PROFICIENCY TEST MAY BE ADMINISTERED. A writing sample will be required at the time of the interview.
11. This position requires a criminal background check.
Frequent interdepartmental business contact; continuous routine public contact and occasional contact involving outside organizations/agencies.
Supervisor responsibilities: directs work flow of permanent/temporary/seasonal/volunteers; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major ones that must be resolved on own initiative with little immediate supervision; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require significant effort to recover.
Private/semi-private office with good, clean conditions; while in the field, there is minor accidents/hazard probability; requires short periods of light lifting, pushing or pulling (1-25 lbs.).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Updated: 04/25/19 ng