The application must be filled out completely; stating “see resume” is not an acceptable substitute for a completed application. Hiring Range: $23.40 - $26.73
Job Title: Zoning Enforcement Officer
Department: Community Development
Position Summary: Performs administrative and technically oriented duties to enforce the City of Aspen zoning codes through review of building permit applications, educates the public about zoning regulations, responds to citizen complaints and initiates follow-up compliance checks in the field.
Supervision Exercised and Received: Position reports to the Zoning Administrator.
Essential Job Functions:
Reviews building permit, fence permit, and sign permit applications to determine consistency with the City Land Use Code, including dimensional, Outdoor Lighting, and Residential Design Standard requirements and any conditions of approval. Researches historical issues and records to determine background information. Coordinates with applicant and/or other departments to obtain clarification or correction of submitted material. Reviews land use, and permit applications for compliance with zoning and other development regulations. Completes a mixture of office and field work to ensure accuracy of permits. Delivers high quality, accurate results, while effectively maintaining and enhancing existing organizational systems and standards.
- Regularly interact and build relations with development services staff and with our customers, including owners, consultants, and developers.
- Provides information and answers questions from the public, architects, contractors, real estate professionals, etc., on how zoning regulations apply to a particular parcel of land or structure.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, especially with technical subject matter.
- Performs Certificate of Occupancy inspections to ensure constructed projects comply with approved building permit plans. Performs routine field inspections to identify zoning violations.
- Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to meet and exceed high standards of accuracy and quality based on established systems, technologies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of and ability to use materials, methods, and tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other city structures.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and coordination of people.
- Ability to communicate clearly when in a team setting, as well as actively listening to the ideas of others, in order to achieve established outcomes.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively through a variety of methods, such as email, written reports, and verbally.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to apply a thoughtful, persevering, self-disciplined approach to achieving accurate, detailed work.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and firmly, within the defined scope of job authority and based on job expertise.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of modern office processes and procedures including managing files and records in alpha and numeric systems, transcription, and other bookkeeping and office procedures.
- Maintains a high level of organization and orderliness.
- Knowledge of zoning regulations, laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Strength in technical problem solving based on expertise and experience, and a strong commitment to efficiently achieve high quality results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Associate’s Degree in planning, construction management, architecture or related field.
- Experience: Two years of progressively responsible professional experience in zoning or land use enforcement, planning, architecture, or construction management.
- Technical Knowledge: Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Email.
- Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date.
- NOTE: This position requires a Criminal Background Check upon hire. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
- NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.