This position provides professional planning support for the Planning Services Division. The position will work to provide technical expertise to plan and implement the Borough's transportation system based on best practices and principals for regional transportation planning. Work is performed and duties are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures, and Borough core values: Accountability, Customer Focus, Dedication, Integrity, Responsiveness and Teamwork.
- Baccalaureate degree in planning, civil engineering, public policy or a related field. Post-secondary education or experience which provides the expertise required to perform effectively the functions of the position may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Two years of experience in transportation planning, engineering, and/or policy. Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Alaska for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification and/or Professional Engineering (PE) License desired.
- Completion of required Incident Command System (ICS) courses in accordance with established Borough policy.
- Review large-scale development permits.
- Prepares and presents technical reports at public hearings; answers questions from the public.
- Interprets and applies applicable federal, state and Borough codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Maintains files and records; makes reports of field inspections; researches, prepares and presents special reports, ordinances, procedures, and position statements.
- Prepares legislation for Planning Commission and Assembly; schedules and facilitates public meetings.
- Responds to public inquiries concerning Borough policies and procedures, transportation planning topics, and other concerns in a timely, accurate and professional manner; provides interviews to the news media as requested.
- Advises and/or provides staff support to the Borough's Transportation Advisory Board.
- Completes special projects and planning studies as assigned.
- Performs project management duties as assigned; plans, organizes and directs all activities required for the full implementation of project goals and objectives; ensures that projects meet targets, required public involvement, budgets and timelines; prepares required reports and evaluations.
- Develops and manages external contracts, including proposal development, evaluation, scope development, negotiations, invoicing and task supervision.
- Performs research and statistical analysis of transportation planning related issues and prepares reports, graphics and maps necessary to convey research effectively.
- Provides staff support for various boards associated with the department's work; arranges meetings; prepares agenda items.
- Participates in division, department and Borough committees, meetings, professional associations, groups, training sessions, and team activities.
- Performs related duties.