This position provides professional planning support for assigned division programs and functions. Work is performed and duties are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures, and Borough core values: Accountability, Customer Focus, Dedication, Integrity, Responsiveness and Teamwork.
Pay Grade: 25
- Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field. Post-secondary education or experience which provides the expertise required to perform effectively the functions of the position may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Two years of experience in the occupational field, sufficient to understand the major duties of the position.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Alaska for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification desired.
- Completion of required Incident Command System (ICS) courses in accordance with established Borough policy.
- Processes large-scale development permits.
- Prepares and presents technical reports at public hearings; answers questions from the public.
- Accepts, processes, and adjudicates applications for Borough permits, variances, conditional use permits, nonconforming structure determinations, planned unit developments, multifamily permits, etc.
- Coordinates internal reviews and responses for proposed land uses, leases, projects, and facilities.
- Interprets and applies applicable federal, state and Borough codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Maintains files and records; makes reports of field inspections; researches, prepares and presents special reports, ordinances, procedures, and position statements.
- Prepares legislation for Planning Commission and Assembly; schedules and facilitates public meetings.
- Responds to public inquiries concerning Borough policies and procedures, planning topics, and other concerns in a timely, accurate and professional manner; provides interviews to the news media as requested.
- Advises and/or provides staff support to assigned commissions and committees.
- Completes special projects and planning studies as assigned.
- Develops and maintains assigned division web pages.
- Performs project management duties as assigned; plans, organizes and directs all activities required for the full implementation of project goals and objectives; ensures that projects meet targets, required public involvement, budgets and timelines; prepares required reports and evaluations.
- Develops and manages external contracts, including proposal development, evaluation, scope development, negotiations, invoicing and task supervision.
- Performs research and statistical analysis of planning related issues and prepares reports, graphics and maps necessary to convey research effectively.
- Provides staff support for various boards associated with the department's work; arranges meetings; prepares agenda items.
- Participates in division, department and Borough committees, meetings, professional associations, groups, training sessions, and team activities.
- Performs related duties.