Job Type Regular Full-Time
This position is responsible for working with community groups on a wide variety of topics from housing to land use planning to municipal code review. It is often the planner's responsibility to capture community, committee, and/or board visions and to prepare written summaries. This could be comprehensive plans, legislation, meeting notes, informational flyers, or web updates. This position provides professional planning support for assigned division programs and functions. Work is performed and duties are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures, and Borough core values: Accountability, Customer Focus, Dedication, Integrity, Responsiveness and Teamwork.
- Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field. Post-secondary education or experience which provides the expertise required to perform effectively the functions of the position may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Five years of experience in the occupational field, sufficient to understand the major duties of the position.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Alaska for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification desired.
- Completion of required Incident Command System (ICS) courses in accordance with established Borough policy.
- Processes large-scale development permits.
- Prepares and presents technical reports at public hearings; answers questions from the public.
- Accepts, processes, and adjudicates applications for Borough permits, variances, conditional use permits, nonconforming structure determinations, planned unit developments, multifamily permits, etc.
- Coordinates internal reviews and responses for proposed land uses, leases, projects, and facilities.
- Interprets and applies applicable federal, state and Borough codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Maintains files and records; makes reports of field inspections; researches, prepares and presents special reports, ordinances, procedures, and position statements.
- Prepares legislation for Planning Commission and Assembly; schedules and facilitates public meetings.
- Responds to public inquiries concerning Borough policies and procedures, planning topics, and other concerns in a timely, accurate and professional manner; provides interviews to the news media as requested.
- Advises and/or provides staff support to assigned commissions and committees.
- Completes special projects and planning studies as assigned.
- Develops and maintains assigned division web pages.
- Performs project management duties as assigned; plans, organizes and directs all activities required for the full implementation of project goals and objectives; ensures that projects meet targets, required public involvement, budgets and timelines; prepares required reports and evaluations.
- Develops and manages external contracts, including proposal development, evaluation, scope development, negotiations, invoicing and task supervision.
- Performs research and statistical analysis of planning related issues and prepares reports, graphics and maps necessary to convey research effectively.
- Provides staff support for various boards associated with the department's work; arranges meetings; prepares agenda items.
- Participates in division, department and Borough committees, meetings, professional associations, groups, training sessions, and team activities.
- Performs related duties.